10 Reasons to Stop Idling
Take our pledge and Turn It Off
It’s easy to GET into the habit of turning your car off when you’ll be idle for more than 30 seconds. It can make a big difference and here’s why:
1. It saves gas: If you idle for 5 minutes warming up your car, you’ve burned enough gas to drive 38 km.
2. It saves money: Unnecessary idling wastes fuel and your money! Also, idling is actually illegal in some countries, and violators pay fines if caught.
3. It makes you and us healthier: Idling is linked to allergies, asthma, heart and lung disease. Kids are more vulnerable because they inhale more air per pound of body weight, and lots of idling happens near schools and universities.
4. It’s good for your engine: Idling your car can damage it’s engine . Fuel is only partially combusted when idling since an engine does not operate at its peak temperature. This leads to the buildup of fuel residues on cylinder walls that can damage engine components.
5. It doesn’t stink: Breathing in exhaust fumes is not very nice is it, least to say it’s unhealthy?
6. It saves the planet: For every 10 minutes of idling you cut, you’ll save 0,5 kg of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere.
7. It sets a good example: it educates your kids and other passengers as well as other drivers about the dangers of idling.
8. It’s easy: Just turn the engine off when you’ll be stopped for more than 30 seconds.
Conservation measures like curbing idling are all important ways individuals can do to help us preserve our nature. Be part of the solution by taking our pledge to Turn It Off when you’ll be idle for more than 30 seconds.
You can even order a bumper sticker so you can help spread the anti-idling message across.